Friday, June 16, 2017

Bose, Fritz von. (1865-1945) Piano works solo.

New acquisition.
Bought in June 2017.
First listen: 15-6-2017.
Label: CPO.
Recording dates: July & November 2001.
Recording venue: MDR Leipzig, Springerstraße, Germany.
Recording engineer: Evelyn Rühlemann.
Running time: 78:20.
Relevance to me: Essential.

Works performed:
Suite No. 2 opus 20.
Drei Klavierstücke opus 10.
Elegie opus 21/1.
Thema und Variationen opus 17.
Suite No. 1 opus 9.

Performed by:
Alexandra Oehler, Piano.

This is the very first time that I heard this composer. Never saw anything on CD before, neither did I read anything about him, nor any reference to his existence. Thus on the basis of what I heard this is undeserved. He studied under, Carl Reinecke, and Salomon Jadassohn, to name a few.  He was part of this rare piano culture of classical and romantic tradition in Leipzig. His roots are firmly embedded in Johannes Brahms, Franz Schubert, Robert Schumann, Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy but also Ferdinand Ries, Heinrich von Herzogenberg, Georg Schumann, etc. So what I am actually trying to say is that his compositions are on the same intrinsic level as all the mentioned composers. His music has an undeniable authority that demands attention and rewards with a rich tonal palette.  There is a stillness in his music, a perfect balance of light and shade, soulful, in which every note sings and breathes freely. There is an elegance in expression, well articulated and unleashing many a memory of bygone times, a tradition that is very much alive in Bose's music. A fusion of mind and heart, intimately wrought, and a deep seated understanding of what was before him, connected to what was prevalent in his lifetime. Subtle, reflective, and carefully composed, these works surprised me, and more than delighted my senses. I concluded that  all the compositions on this disc, are worthy in content, which brings them on the same level as say Johannes Brahms, or Robert Schumann's works. And I very much recognized Georg Schumann in Bose's works, which is a huge compliment too, for I admire that composer on an equal footing.
Alexandra Oehler was unknown to me too, but on the basis of what I hear, I would say she is an excellent pianist. Her interpretation shows a comprehensive insight, and she navigates through the music in a clear sighted way, emulating the deep rooted romanticism of Bose's compositions. 
The recording is top notch.





Koechlin, Charles. (1867-1950) Piano Works Volume I. ....des Jardins enchantés.

New acquisition. Bought in June 2017. First listen: 27-6-2017. Label: Hanssler Classics. Recording dates: December 2007. Recording venu...